We are committed to providing the right support, in the right way, at the right time.
For some families the right support may be individual or family counselling during a life-threatening illness or after a death; for others it may be attending a structured support group. We have also heard from many parents that they would appreciate brief, concrete, direct and accessible information as they navigate new situations with their grief and their children’s grief. Our new Lunch & Learns Series is designed to meet these needs.
The Parent Lunch & Learn Series allows us to:
- be responsive to parents with specific questions (individuals can sign up on Eventbrite to attend the live event)
- be accessible to parents unable to access or uninterested in counselling services (we will record the L&L and save the recordings on our website)
- share pragmatic, concrete information and resources to address specific questions and topics we know most parents/caregivers are navigating while parenting a child who is grieving.
- be collaborative as we partner with other agencies to bring their expertise to parents who are grieving
- provide a resource people can return to or share with others in their life who would benefit from the information
- shrink the feelings of isolation by creating a space where grief concerns can be shared, heard and responded to in honouring ways.
- create informal sense of community even for those who are watching recorded conversation. Knowing others have the same questions or struggles is normalizing and less isolating.
- be fluid to address current issues that arise in community or culture (impact of Covid on grieving teens, for example).
Here are the dates and topics:
- September 15, 2021 – When Grief Goes to School
- September 29, 2021 – How To Talk with Children About Death & Grief
- October 13, 2021 – We Grieve Differently…Even in Families
- October 27, 2021 – How To Talk with Children About Advanced Illness
- November 10, 2021 – When Grief is Complicated
- November 24, 2021 – Staying Connected to the Person Who Died
- December 8, 2021 – When the Holidays Hurt
You can find more information on our Parent Lunch & Learn web page.