When you become part of our team, we all benefit. Volunteering with Hospice Calgary provides benefits and opportunities in abundance, and the rewards are as unique and personal as your reasons for wanting to volunteer. Here are a few reasons our volunteers gave us:
- Supporting a cause you believe in
- Applying your current skills and gaining some new ones
- Feeling the personal satisfaction of helping others and making a difference in the community
- Opportunities for growth through educational offerings and resources
- Community and resume recognition
- Community or corporate groups
We offer opportunities to volunteers aged 18 and older. If you are younger than 18, please contact us directly as there are some positions where age is not a factor.
You can contact us directly to apply for any open position online, by emailing our Manager of Volunteer Services: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be contacted with further instructions. An interview and necessary training usually follow, with some roles requiring further screening such as a criminal record or vulnerable sector check.
Volunteer opportunities are varied and there are many ways to be involved. Some of the ways you can help include:
- Office administration support at Rosedale Hospice
- Special event planning volunteers
- Hike for Hospice Calgary event volunteers (route, parking, kids zone)
- Serving lunch during our Living With Cancer Program
- Assisting with grief groups
- Baking for our grief and advanced illness support groups
- Making Bereavement Telephone Support calls
- Maintenance tasks such as gardening, landscaping and painting
There are a number of off-site activities that volunteer groups or individuals can participate in that will directly benefit those being served by Hospice Calgary, such as quilting or sewing. Please contact us directly for more information.
The length of time varies depending on the position. There are one-time, seasonal and ongoing volunteer roles. On your request form please indicate the level of commitment you are seeking and we will make every effort to find a suitable arrangement.
All hospices in Calgary & Area are run separately and recruit their own volunteers. Hospice Calgary only recruits volunteers for Rosedale Hospice and Sage Centre.